OSSE invites all educators to participate in its upcoming English Language Acquisition workshop series beginning on Nov. 28, 2018. This three-part workshop series is designed to share foundational information about English language acquisition from the science of language acquisition to useful classroom strategies that can help English learners access the academic curriculum. The topics for each workshop, in order, are:
- English Language Acquisition 101: The Science of Language Acquisition and Its Implications for the Classroom
- English Language Acquisition 102: Language Levels, Language Objectives, and Lesson Planning
- English Language Acquisition 103: Strategies for Comprehensible Input
English Language Acquisition 101 will cover the science of second language acquisition. Any educator who is interested in understanding the basics about how English learners learn English are welcome to attend. Specifically, participants will learn about:
- the different types of English learners
- how second language acquisition happens
- the difference between social language and academic language
- the developmental milestones that correspond to each stage of second language acquisition
Note, instructional strategies will not be covered in English Language Acquisition 101.
Space is limited and priority registration will be given to those with little to no background in second language acquisition. General and special educators, specials teachers, related service providers, coaches, and administrators are strongly encouraged to attend.
Registration is required.
For questions, please contact Anika Harris at [email protected].