Register here! See past and upcoming school gardent bike rides below for more details.
The District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education’s School Gardens Program, BicycleSPACE, FoodCorps DC and SlowFood DC co-sponsor the DC School Garden Bike Tour. Each year the co-sponsors host two tours (a spring tour in connection with Strawberries and Salad Greens Day and a fall tour to celebrate Growing Healthy Schools Month) to highlight the budding school gardens throughout the city.
The purpose of these tours is to engage the public with school gardens, encourage innovative partnerships between the communities and schools, and highlight the role of school gardens. While each tour is unique, what remain constant are the innovative garden spaces, interesting people, and delicious food offerings. Often, schools invite participants from the ride to get involved with completing the projects, and providing on going support.
Along the route, we stop at between two and four school gardens where participants learn about the schools’ garden programs, explore the garden spaces, and experience the sights and smells of the garden. Participants also enjoy a delicious lunch, courtesy of garden tour supporters. While this event is free, participants may choose to donate funds at registration. All ticket proceeds for this tour will go directly to school garden programs visited on the tour.
For more information or questions, please contact Sam Ullery at [email protected].
Past and Upcoming School Garden Bike Rides:
Oct. 15, 2017
- BicycleSpace 440 K St. NW
- Schools to Visit: Leckie Elementary School and Thurgood Marshall Academy PCS
- Register here!
- Join us for an epic School Garden Bicycle Tour as we visit two beautiful school gardens in Ward 8 and a river front ride through the Joint Bowling-Anacostia Base (JBAB). We will begin from the K Street BicycleSpace location and make our way across the city. Our first stop will be Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter High School’s “Great Garden of Anacostia.” This impressive space is the largest school garden east of the Anacostia River, complete with fruit trees, vegetable gardens, and native pollinator plants. Next, we take a relaxing, flat ride through JBAB along their riverfront trail. We are fortunate to have been granted access to pass through this relatively unknown part of the District and can’t wait to see it! Upon exiting the base, we will climb a short hill to Leckie Elementary School’s Outdoor Classroom. Here we will enjoy pizza and a seasonal salad and learn about this one-of-a-kind outdoor teaching space complete with a kitchen and a beautiful garden. For those that would like to challenge themselves with a longer ride, a group will press on and ride through Wards 7 and 8 for an additional 10-15 miles, while another group will head directly back through JBAB and back to BicycleSpace.
- 11:30 a.m. Depart Bicycle Space
- 12 p.m. Arrive at Thurgood Marshall Academy PCS
- 12:30 p.m. Depart Thurgood Marshall Academy PCS
- 1:30 p.m. Arrive at Leckie ES / Lunch
- 2:30 p.m. Depart Leckie ES
- 3 p.m. Early Group Arrive at Bicycle Space
- 4:30 p.m. Late Group Arrive at Bicycle Space
June 12, 2016
- Schools Visited: Friendship PCS-Woodridge Campus, John Burroughs ES, EW Stokes PCS
- Learn more about this school garden tour
- Winning school and project funded: Friendship PCS-Woodridge Campus will install rain barrels for water catchment as well as interpretive signage
- Amount Raised: $300
May 3, 2015
- Schools vistited: J.O. Wilson, Tyler ES, Eastern HS, and Walker Jones EC
- Learn about the school gardens visited and their projects
- Winning school and project funded: J.O. Wilson to install an irrigation system
- Amount Raised: $150
Sept. 28, 2014
- Schools Visited: Walker Jones EC, Cleveland ES, Marie Reed EC, Tubman ES
- Winning School and Project Funded: Marie Reed EC to build a compost bin system
- Amount Raised: $167
May 4, 2014
- Schools Visited: Seaton ES, Horace Mann ES, Janney ES
- Winning School and Project Funded: Seaton ES revitalized the pond
- Amount Raised: $280
Sept. 9, 2013
- Schools Visited: JO Wilson ES, Eastern HS, Orr ES, Thurgood Marshall Academy PCHS
- Winning School and Project Funded: Orr ES built a vertical pallet garden
- Amount Raised: $300
June 9, 2013
- Schools Visited: Capitol Hill Montessori @ Logan, Stuart Hobson ES, Jefferson MS, Mundo Verde PCS, HD Cooke ES
- Winning School and Project Funded: Jefferson MS built a garden shed
- Amount Raised: $420
- Video of the ride
Oct. 20, 2012
- Schools Visited: Kelly Miller MS, Prospect LC, Arts and Technology Academy PCS, St. Coletta PCS, Brent ES
- Winning School and Project Funded: Prospect LC shared their Best School Garden Award winning essay
- Amount Raised: n/a
- Video of the ride