The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) held the fifth Annual DC Parent and Family Engagement Summit on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.
Information provided at the Summit will engaged, informed, and empowered parents and families to effectively support the highest level of quality education for all the children in the District of Columbia. The Summit also allowed parents to provide feedback to OSSE on the state education plan.
Parents and family members were invited to join OSSE for this event.
All session materials are now available and can be downloaded:
- How Can I Partner with the School to Support My Child with Special Needs?
- What Child Care and Pre-K Options are in DC, and how can I Support My Child, Birth to Five? DC’s Early Childhood Education Landscape
- How Can I Help My Child Find the Right College or Career Education Program - and Pay for It? OSSE Postsecondary and Career Education
- What are DC's Attendance Policies, and How Can I support My Child? Every Day Counts!
- How Do I Pick a School for My Child and Use the DC School Lottery and Use the DC School Lottery Pre-K through grade 12)? - My School DC
- How do I Support My Child with Disabilities in Moving from Middle and High School to Postsecondary Activities? Secondary Transition Planning is Key!
- What are My Child's Scores on the PARCC Test? What is the New DC School Report Card? How do I use These to Help My Child? Understanding the PARCC Test Individual Student Reports and New DC School Report Card
- Laws Protect Students with Disabilities? A Brief Overview of IDEA, Section 504 & the DC Human Rights Act
- The Key to My Child's Success in School? Parent Involvement!
- What STEM Education Opportunities are Available, and How Can I Support My Child in Pursuing these Opportunities? Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education Pathways: K-12
Resource Table Fair (click links to visit each organization’s website)
- Department on Disability Services (DDS)
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Insurance, Securities & Banking (DISB) - Student Loan Ombudsman
- DC Public Charter School Board (DCPCSB)
- DC Public Schools (DCPS)
- Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education (DME)
- OSSE 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) Out-of-School Time
- OSSE ReEngagement Center (REC)
- OSSE Division of Data, Assessment and Research (DAR)
- OSSE Division of Early Learning (DEL)
- OSSE Division of Health and Wellness (HW)
- OSSE Homeless Education Program (HEP)
- OSSE Special Education
- OSSE Truancy and Attendance
- OSSE Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG)
- State Board of Education (SBOE) - Office of the Student Advocate
- Breathe DC
- DC Language Immersion Project
- Early Childhood Innovation Network
- Linner Foundation
- National Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- YWCA National Capital Area Career Education and Training Center
*DC government has not reviewed and does not officially endorse materials provided by partner organizations.
For more information or questions, please contact Valrie Brown at [email protected] or at (202) 299-2093.
Click below to download and share the event flyer: