To renew a *Standard, *Professional or Regular II District of Columbia license, applicants must submit evidence of six (6) semester hours or 90 contact hours (or a combination of the two) of professional development activities completed within the four (4) years* prior to the date of the licensure application submission as outlined below. These requirements also apply to those wishing to reinstate an expired license.
Renewal applications may be submitted to our office up to 90 days prior to the license’s expiration date.
- A minimum of three (3) semester hours/45 clock hours of the professional development activities must be directly related to the field (subject content) of the license being renewed. If renewing more than one license, you must have different subject-specific coursework hours for each license, even if the licensure areas are similar.
- The remaining required three (3) semester hours/45 clock hours may include any professional development activity relevant to Pre-K – 12 education and/or serving Pre-K – 12 students. These general education classes/workshops may be used to renew more than one license, as long as the professional development was completed within the renewal timeframe (four years prior to the submission of a renewal application for Regular II license holders; five years for Standard and Professional license holders).
Examples of Acceptable Renewal Activities
- Coursework at an accredited college or university;
- Workshops, seminars or conferences sponsored by a local education agency/school district and/or or other education/professional organization (e.g. Washington Teachers Union, American Federation of Teachers, National Staff Development Council, National Board for Certified Counselors, National Athletic Trainers Association, etc.);
*Special Note for all Standard and Professional license holders on renewal:
Per the teacher licensure regulations effective January 9, 2009, standard and professional license holders will receive a four-year Regular II license upon renewal. Standard and professional license holders may submit renewal credits completed within the five (5) years prior to the submission of a licensure renewal application. Upon issuance of a Regular II license, the acceptable span for renewal credits will be four (4) years.
Please note the following:
- When submitting a renewal application, School Social Workers must submit a copy of a valid clinical and/or professional license issued by the District of Columbia, Department of Health Professional Licensing Board.
- When submitting a renewal application, Technical & Industrial Occupation teachers must submit a copy of a valid certificate/license issued by the appropriate national organization or District of Columbia Industrial Trade Board (e.g. athletic trainer, electrician, barber, cosmetologist, etc.).
- Professional development activities where the applicant is the teacher, facilitator or instructor will not be accepted for renewal purposes.
Acceptable Renewal Documentation
Acceptable documentation verifying completion of professional development activities must be on an official transcript from an accredited college/university; OR must be an original certificate, bearing an authenticating signature, and include the following:
- Participant’s Name
- Name of the sponsoring organization
- Name of activity/workshop or course title
- Activity length of time (contact hours; credit hours, CEUs; Professional Learning Units (PLUs), etc.)
- Dates of Participation
Calculating Professional Development Hours
When translating college/university credit hours, Continuing Education Units (CEUs), and Professional Learning Units (PLUs) into contact hours, the following formulas apply:
- One semester credit hour is equivalent to 15 contact hours (i.e., 3 semester credit hours = 45 contact hours)
- One (1.0) CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours (i.e., 1.5 CEUs = 15 contact hours)
- One PLU is equivalent to one contact hour
When contact hours, CEUs, etc., are not explicitly stated on documentation of participation, the length of time must be indicated to calculate contact hours. For example a participant completes a relevant workshop that lasted from 9:00am to 12pm; therefore the participant completed three (3) contact hours.
Individuals seeking to renew a DC teacher, service provider or endorsement license must submit the following form (see form for detailed list of supporting documents required):
- Application for Licensure Renewal
- Procedures to obtain nationwide criminal history report (for DCPS employees only)
- Procedures to obtain nationwide criminal history report (for all other applicants)
Monday-Thursday: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
General consultation from the licensure team is available. Consultation includes Q & A regarding licensure application requirements and processing timelines, and a check to ensure that application packets have the documents required to begin a review. Licensure evaluations/eligibility determinations are not conducted at the time of submission as that will occur once a complete application packet is logged into our system for review by a specialist.
Friday: 8:30 am to 5 pm for application/material pick-up and drop-off only. Consultation from the licensure team is not available.