See LearnDC's School Report Cards and Profiles, then let us know what you think.
The District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE), as the State Education Agency (SEA) for the District of Columbia, is responsible for ensuring Local Educational Agency (LEA) compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, at 20 U.S.C. § 1400, et seq.).
OSSE’s Division of Special Education (DSE) is responsible for overseeing the development and promulgation of state policy governing special education; monitoring LEAs for compliance with IDEA as well as other federal and local regulations and court-ordered consent decrees; allocation and administration of IDEA grant funds to LEAs and other public agencies; provision of training and technical assistance to LEAs; and investigation and resolution of state complaints relating to special education. OSSE also administers the District’s due process hearing system, through the Student Hearing Office (SHO), in a reporting line separate from the DSE.
DSE is also responsible for the regulation of nonpublic placements under local statute. This includes setting rates for nonpublic schools; budgeting for, processing, and paying the invoices from nonpublic schools; monitoring the quality of nonpublic schools serving District children; taking corrective action against schools not meeting District standards; and issuing Certificates of Approval (COA) to nonpublic special education schools.
The Division also houses the District of Columbia Early Intervention Program (DC EIP) Unit. OSSE, through DC EIP, serves as the lead agency for IDEA Part C early intervention services in the District of Columbia. As such, DSE is responsible for ensuring the delivery of high quality services to children with disabilities birth through 21.
- Data Verification
- Educational Surrogate Parent Program
- Fiscal Policy and Grants Management (FPGM)
- Medicaid Recovery Unit
- Monitoring and Compliance
- Nonpublic Payment Unit
- Placement Oversight
- Policies and Regulations [Special Education]
- Training and Technical Assistance
Projects and Special Education Stakeholder Information:
- Annual Parent Survey
- Annual State Grant Information
- Community and Special Education Stakeholder Information
- DC One Community for All FY 2012 Summary Report (Olmstead)
- DSE LEA Data Calendar
- Inclusive Schools Week
- IDEA Reports – US Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP)
- Least Restrictive Environment Brief
- Local Education Agency (LEA) Quarterly Special Education Leadership Meetings
- Notice of Funding Availability for Charter LEA Co-located Classrooms
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 - District of Columbia Implementation
- State Advisory Panel (SAP) on Special Education
- The Quality Review of Special Education Service Delivery in District of Columbia Public Schools and Charter Schools: American Institutes for Research Final Study Report
- Transparency (Data and Reports)
Memorandum of Agreement
- Educational Services for certain Youth committed to the Department of Youth Rehabilitative Services (DYRS)
- Education Services for Children and Youth Committed to the Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA)
Requests for Application
- No applications available at this time