Join the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education for a series of community meetings to discuss education related topics.
Obtaining Teaching Endorsement Licensure
Individuals with a valid DC Standard, Professional and/or Regular II teaching license may be issued an endorsement license by passing relevant Praxis exams, demonstrating content knowledge via a major/major equivalent, and/or providing proof of teaching experience with particular grade levels (for a pedagogy testing waiver).
To obtain or renew an endorsement license, an applicant must have a valid Regular II credential; have successfully completed the Praxis II Pedagogy examination or provided verification of relevant teaching experience, and one of the following:
- Successful completion of the Praxis II Content exam; or
- Meet the requirements outlined in Sections 1602 through Section 1665 of the DC Municipal Regulations (DCMR); or
- Successful completion of an academic major or major equivalent of thirty semester hours of course work from an accredited institution of higher education in a given subject area.
Testing only Option:
Applicants who passed both the Praxis II content knowledge and pedagogy exams must submit an official ETS score report with the application and other supporting documents (see application). OSSE will waive the pedagogy exam for individuals who submit verification of three years of teaching experience (within the past seven) in the grade levels covered by the certificate area.
- Teacher Licensure Exams [PDF]
Testing and Coursework Option
- Applicants who completed a content major or major equivalent of 30 semester hours in the subject area and the Praxis II pedagogy exam (or verified experience) must submit relevant official transcript(s) and an official ETS score report with the application along with other supporting documents as outlined on the application.
Applicants may also be licensed through transcript analysis by meeting the coursework requirements outlined in Chapter 16 of the DCMR and the Praxis II pedagogy exam (or verified experience). Applicants must submit relevant official transcript(s) and an official ETS score report with the application along with other supporting documents as outlined on the application.
- Application for Added Teaching Endorsements [PDF]
- Employment Verification Form [PDF]
- Procedures to obtain nationwide criminal history report (for DCPS employees only) [PDF]
- Procedures to obtain nationwide criminal history report (for all other applicants) [PDF]
Monday-Thursday: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
General consultation from the licensure team is available. Consultation includes Q & A regarding licensure application requirements and processing timelines, and a check to ensure that application packets have the documents required to begin a review. Licensure evaluations/eligibility determinations are not conducted at the time of submission as that will occur once a complete application packet is logged into our system for review by a specialist.
Friday: 8:30 am to 5 pm for application/material pick-up and drop-off only. Consultation from the licensure team is not available.