Adopted Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for the District of Columbia Schools, (K-12)
Next Generation Science Standards have been adopted by DC State Board of Education (December, 2013), as the new K-12 Science Standards for the District of Columbia Schools.
Together with the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics and English Language Arts, the NGSS hold the promise of transforming STEM education and preparing all DC students to succeed, in education, work, and their daily lives. Over the next few years, OSSE will work closely with community stakeholders to provide clear guidance and support around NGSS implementation.
How is OSSE Getting Feedback?
OSSE will continue to gather feedback in multiple ways during implementation making sure various stakeholder groups have input in the overall implementation of NGSS. OSSE will also continue to meet regularly with the State Science Leadership Team as well as the Science Educator Leader Cadre through implementation. These targeted sessions are focused on capacity building and support for NGSS implementation across the District of Columbia.
DC State Science Leadership Team
A guiding coalition comprised of community stakeholders, LEA representatives, SEA representatives, representatives for local universities and institutions of higher learning, industry partners, as well as teacher leaders.
Professional Development Opportunities
- NGSS Curriculum Alignment Training for Schools
- NGSS 1.0: Introducing the Next Generation Science Standards for LEAs and School Leaders
- NGSS 2.0 Understanding the Shifts in Practice for LEA's and School Leaders
Learn More about Next Generation Science Standards
- DC Science Sample Question Booklet
- NGSS Ideas for Parents
- Frequently Asked Questions
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- NGSS Position Statement
- NGSS Official Website
- NGSS on LearnDC
How were the standards created?
Webinars and Presentations
- Integrating Engineering into Science Classrooms
- NGSS- Achieve video
- OSSE NGSS SBOE Presentation
- Parent and Family STEM Presentation