Learn about the Strong Start Campaign.
Higher Education Financial Services
*** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
EXTENDED HOURS MAY 15, 2013
8:30 AM - 8:00 PM
Complete the Online DC OneApp Application and Submit the Required Supporting Documents
Click here to complete the DC OneApp
Due to limited funds for the 2013/2014 academic year, applicants are urged to complete the online DC OneApp and submit the required supporting documents by May 31, 2013.
To access the DC OneApp Required Supporting Documents, please click the link below:
HEFS administers the District of Columbia’s state-level higher education grant program: the DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program (DCTAG) in additional to the merit based grant the United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP). HEFS also provides students with information and resources on scholarships to help fund their college education.
To learn about and apply to DCTAG, USSYP and private scholarships please visit the links below.
Learn About Grants
- DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program (DCTAG)
- The United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP)
- OSSE Scholars
Apply For Grants
Learn About and Apply for Scholarships
- College Board Searchable Scholarship Database
- DC CAP Scholarship Listing
- Go College Searchable Scholarship Database
- The SallieMae Fund - A great source of information
- The Hope Scholarship and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit
2013 Postsecondary Conference
HEFS is committed to providing information, services and resources to ensure District students are prepared to pursue and be successful in college and career education. We host the Postsecondary Conference to provide educators, college and career counselors, and college access providers an opportunity to share success stories, new ideas, and best practices that will enable them to help District students access and achieve success in both college and career education. This year's conference was a great success with over 200 participants attending workshops that covered topics such as: Financial Aid, College Retention, Career & Technical Education, and Special Circumstances. Many of the workshops' presentations can be found visiting the below link.
From information on colleges, private scholarships and grants to helping students complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) our goal is to ensure students get the financial aid needed to support their college education.
The below links to external web sites may be helpful to you in preparing for and financing your college education.
- DC College Savings Plan: http://www.dccollegesavings.com
- Learn about Colleges: http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator
- Mapping Your Future: http://www.mappingyourfuture.org/
- FAFSA Video: http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/346-the-5-minute-fafsa-video
- FAFSA on the Web: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Federal Student Aid: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/index.jsp
Additional Funding Resources
- Going to College (www.college.gov/wps/portal)
- IRS - "Tax Benefits for Education" (2007 Tax Credit Filing Form) (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf)
- IRS - Tax Information for Students (www.irs.gov/individuals/students/)
- US Department of Education - Student Financial Assistance (www.studentaid.ed.gov)
- Learn about Careers http://www.bls.gov/oco/
- Explore Careers http://mappingyourfuture.org/planyourcareer/
- Hottest Careers for College Graduates http://www.collegeboard.com/student/csearch/majors_careers/236.html
- College Preparation Checklist (www.studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/siteresources/CollPrep.pdf)
- DC College Savings Plan http://www.dccollegesavings.com
- Going2College (going2college.org)
- Learn about Colleges http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator
- Mapping Your Future (www.mappingyourfuture.org)
- My College QuickStart (www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/quickstart.html)
- National College Access Network (www.collegeaccess.org)
- The College Board (www.collegeboard.com)
Financial Aid Info
- FAFSA Application on the Web (www.fafsa.ed.gov)
- FAFSA Completion Publication (studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/completing_fafsa/)
- FAFSA Completion Video http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/346-the-5-minute-fafsa-video
- Funding Your Education (studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/FYE/)
- Looking for Student Aid (studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/lsa/)
- Stafford Loan Forgiveness for Teachers studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/siteresources/stafloan.pdf)
- Student Loan Facts (www.studentloanfacts.org)
- The Financial Aid Information Page (www.finaid.org)