Join the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education for a series of community meetings to discuss education related topics.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARINGS - Standards for Student Code of Conduct and Discipline
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) will hold public hearings to discuss a proposed rulemaking entitled “Standards for Student Conduct and Discipline.”
The proposed rulemaking addresses state-wide standards for student conduct policies and procedures at local educational agencies (LEAs) in the District of Columbia.
The proposed rulemaking will be posted for a 30 day public comment period commencing Friday, August 17, 2012. A copy of the proposed rulemaking is available online at http://www.dcregs.dc.gov. Public hearings will be held on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 and Wednesday, September 12, 2012. The comment period begins Friday, August 17, 2012 and concludes Monday, September 17, 2012. All comments received by 5 pm Monday, September 17, 2012 will be considered.
The following summary provides an overview of the proposed rule. Please note that this overview is provided for informational purposes only. Persons are encouraged to read the proposed rule for full detail.
STANDARDS FOR STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINE
- Creates Chapter 25, entitled “Standards for Student Conduct and Discipline,” of subtitle A (Office of the State Superintendent of Education) of title 5 (Education) of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (DCMR);
- Creates guidelines for local education agency (LEA) policies and procedures;
- Addresses the use of suspension and expulsion;
- Addresses the use and/or prohibition of restraints;
- Defines emergency separation from the student population;
- Outlines requirements related to the discipline of students with disabilities;
- Outlines requirements for record retention and reporting; and
- Provides definitions for the purposes of specific terms in this chapter.
Individuals wishing to testify at the hearing should contact Jamai Deuberry, Legal Administrative Specialist, at 202-727-6436 or by e-mail at Jamai.email@example.com, no later than 5 pm on Friday, September 7, 2012 to be added to the witness list for each of the two public hearing. An individual presenting will be limited to five (5) minutes in an effort to allow all individuals an opportunity to be heard. Individuals representing an organization will be limited to a total presentation time of seven (7) minutes.
Individuals and organizations wishing to submit comments as part of the official record should send copies of the comments and any written testimony and statements no later than 5 pm on Monday, September 17, 2012 for the proposed rule on “STANDARDS FOR STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINE” to: Jamai Deuberry, Legal Administrative Specialist/Re: “STANDARDS FOR STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINE”
Office of the State Superintendent of Education, Office of the General Counsel
810 First Street, NE – 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org